Traveling with Baby- Packing List
Here’s what we usually pack for trips! This list is specific to babies under 1, but can totally help when packing for toddlers, as well! Many of the items on this list are linked but you can also find most of the mentioned items in this post about our favorite baby travel gear.
- Hat/beanie and socks for baby (if they aren’t being worn)
- Swaddle-style blanket (we love this one that doubles as sun-protection)
- Milk/water bottles/cups (only bring what you need) and snacks (anything simple and not messy like puffs, yogurt melts or raisins)
- 1 soft or Indestructibles book
- 2-3 toys that baby really likes- we like these stacking cups to hide snacks under (they don’t roll), something to chew on (we always attach the teether to a pacifier clip to avoid baby dropping it) and a toy baby can rattle or manipulate; also, remember to “play” with your new environment; look for disposable “toys” along the way like plastic cups, straws, hotel key cards, etc. *If your baby is older than 1, check out our Favorite Travel Toys for some more ideas of what to pack.
- Favorite lovey to promote sleep
- Pacifier on a clip
- Water bottle and snacks for parents
- Thieves roller and hand purifier to apply periodically throughout the trip (to help fight off those icky travel germs)
- Phone charger just in case you’re delayed (we use screen time as a last resort of entertainment; mostly episodes of The Wiggles or the Infant Zoo app)
- In a small packing cube or wet bag: Changing pad/mat (we like this larger one that doubles as a tummy time surface), Diapers (bring at least 5 more than you think you’ll need in case of delays) and Wipes (bring plenty for wiping down messes in addition to a dirty bum)
- In a large ziplock bag: a washcloth/burp cloth, extra outfit for baby and shirt for Mom; this can be used if something crazy happens (blow out or vomit) and will contain any stinky/wet items.
Bedtime Packing Cube
- Lovey (if not in carry-on bag)
- Sound machine (we LOVE this portable one!)
- Extra cot/pack and play sheet washed with your usual detergent
Bath time Supplies (in a water-resistant tote)
- Inflatable changing pad (fits perfectly in front pocket of a suitcase)
- Nail clippers
- Diaper rash cream
- Medicine (Tylenol and Ibuprofen)
- Hair brush
- Stacking cups from your carry-on can be used during bath time
Daytime Packing Cube
- 1 outfit per day +2 (depending on laundry situation) we pack layers and outfits that can mix and match (shirts, shorts and leggings that all coordinate)
Accessory Packing Cube (if applicable)
- Extra jumper/sweater
- Bathing suit
Some other items or gear you may pack:
- Car seat (use these bags to protect them)
- Ergo/Baby-wearing wrap
- Pack and play (only pack this if it’s completely necessary; most hotels have cots or porta-cribs available upon request)
- Feeding accessories such as a spoon, cup and a silicone bib
- Pop-up sun shelter or pop-up float for the beach
If you’d like a printable version of this check-list, you can find one here.
Dare I say, “That’s it!?” Haha! Hopefully this list helps to make packing for baby quick and stress-free. Click here to find all of our “Traveling with Baby” posts!
K, J, EL & P